Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Homebrew for the Holidays

It truly is the best time of year, for homebrewers that is.  I'm sure many brewers out there will take some time this holiday season to brew up something new, but hopefully not something blue (I hate blueberry in beer).  Personally, I hope to complete my first partigyle mash (i.e. multiple beers from the same mash).  The first beer is a rather ambitious project that I am hopeful will stand up to the test of time.  I'm aiming to brew a big english barleywine for my nephew's first birthday this April.  The idea is that this is a beer that his parent's could enjoy every year on his birthday until his 21st birthday ( called the "21 year itch ale").  I'm sure this beer will be great for the next couple of years, but I'm not sure if it will hold up for over two decades.  The recipe is based on Gordon Strong's 7 year itch ale from his Brewing Better Beer.  The second beer will be an English Strong ale that I plan to age in my new Christmas gift (from Mrs. HolzBrew):


In addition to this beauty, I also received a gorgeous set of pint glasses designed by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law:

What a fantastic gift!

Happy Holidays,

HolzBrew

No comments: