Sunday, June 27, 2010

NHC Update

A big congratulations to Pete Britton (of Lake in the Hills, IL), Brian Steuerwald (of Brownsburg, IN) and Matt Haugo & Scott Wellington (of Aliso Viejo, CA) for taking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively in Category 22: Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer in this year's National Homebrew Contest.

Unfortunately, Old Woodie ("OW") didn't quite make the cut. Actually, I recieved my second round scorecards this week and OW didn't score as well as it had during the first round (average score of 33 in the second round versus 39 in the first round). I kind of suspected that the judging would be a bit tough in the national rounds versus the regional rounds.

See the following link for the results. All in all a great showing this year with well over 6,000 entries. This was my first competition, but I suspect not my last.

Congrats to all winners!

In other news, Meg somehow bamboozled me into doing the South Beach Diet with her. So no beer for me for the next two weeks.

Even though I can't drink it, I suspect I'll be brewing up something during the upcoming July 4 holiday weekend. Stay tuned.

-HolzBrew

2 comments:

SeƱor Brew™ said...

To paraphrase your blog's tagline, "friends don't let friends go on the south beach diet".

HolzBrew said...

You couldn't be more right.