Thursday, October 18, 2012

Trappist Cider

A few weeks ago I picked up a a few gallons of organic cider here in town at Bloomingfoods.  I racked this cider on to a yeast cake left over from the primary fermentation of the sour dubbel I brewed a bout a month ago.  I like the idea of a cider fermented with Trappist ale yeast, something along the lines of The Saint by Crispin.  Last night I back-sweetened and kegged it.  One thing that I always forget to do when making cider is to add pectin enzyme to help clear up the pectin haze.  Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy it in its natural murky brown state.



I had just finished cleaning some wood cubes and chips that I used in the bourbon stout I brewed a few months ago and decided to toss them into the keg for some added complexity.  While I usually wouldn't recommend wood aging beer prior to serving, it just felt right.



-HolzBrew


 

No comments: